March 6, 2015

Testing Windows 10


So I decided to load up the Windows 10 Tech Preview on my PC. Why not? I need to be aware of issues and the processes related to the installation and upgrade of Windows in order to do my job as an IT professional.

Here are some things I have found so far:

- PIN login for Microsoft accounts is currently broken: MS is updating these features to allow us to use more secure PINs to login with. It is sort of a pain if you are logging in with an MS account. A workaround is to perform the Windows 10 installation as an upgrade from an OS where you are already using a PIN login. I have verified this to be working from Windows 8.1 Pro.

- SonicWALL Global VPN client was broken at first. A reinstall of the software resolved the issue.

- Notifications seem a bit off. I am still getting a notification for Raptr when I login, even though I promptly uninstalled it after loading my graphics drivers.

- Modern Applications: From what I understand, this is a universal app that launches and runs the same on tablets and desktops. The issue here is that many applications will want to launch this way by default, like OneNote and Control Panel. This is reminiscent of the Metro UI from Windows 8, in my opinion. MS should let us default to a desktop application at all times.

Overall, I'm pleased with Windows 10. Looking forward to the RC!

No comments:

Post a Comment